DISCLAIMER

All rights of photos and text reserved. Usage of photos or text from my blog on other websites or for any other purpose only with prior permission. If you want to use any material from my blog please contact me by email.

Saturday, March 7, 2015

The 300B Line Stage - Part 2

Hi!

Beginning of last month I posted about the plans to build a line preamplifier with the Elrog 300B. The project is completed.





For the first tests I used a power supply from the 300B mono blocks which has adjustable voltages.




First sounds are very pleasing. Low noise. Microphonics a bit worse than from the 10Y but quite manageble.




When listening through the first records I noted an impressive ability to retrieve low level information from the source material. At least on par with the best 10Y line stages, if not even better.




Need to give this more listen for a final conclusion. Listening in the excitement of having a new development finished easily leads to wrong judgements.




Stay tuned for further reports once I lived with this line stage for a while and optimised operating points. Stay tuned!

Best regards

Thomas

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Thomas!

    I've been following your blog for about a month. As your blog's name is vinylsavor, i'm a bit curious if you will built any dac in the future, as it is, imho, more versatile than cd player, and also with the current file format these days, it's possible to have a resolution as good as vinyl. Thank you.

    Warm regards,

    Anom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! My main focus is Vinyl reproduction and there is still am lot to explore in this area. I did built some DACs many years ago and I might work on DACs again in the future. But this is still at least a year away.

      Best regards

      Thomas

      Delete
  2. Well, that will give me some time to start saving to have a complete system from your works. I hope it will be something special like your latest phono stage, or maybe like your differential 10y preamp. Thank you, Thomas. Keep up the good work.

    Warm regards,

    Anom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas, After living with this line stage for a few months can you say how it compares to your 10Y line stage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      It is good overall, but ultimately I prefer the 10Y line stage. I keep this one for demo
      Thomas

      Delete